Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 10, 2015

New altered book: Alphabet/Define It!

 I altered Stampington's 2004 daily calendar that is filled with wonderful art work.  I had to tear out several of the pages (which I saved to use in other altered books").  This book will be for the 2015 Round Robin in my art club this year.   By the time this book comes back to me it will be bursting with art work from my art sisters in my art club.  Exciting!  I cut this bird from some Basic Grey papers that I have had for some time and just could not bear to cut.......time to get the scissors out and go to work.    I stamped one of my favorite alphabets on a panel and spritzed it with Tiger Lily ink by Tattered Angels.  I used a panel cut from text card stock and spritzed it with Dylusions' Dirty Martini and Blue Turquoise by Tattered Angels.  I used a strip of washi tape down the left side and attached the text panel to the front of the calendar book.  I layered the alpha panel with burgundy and attached it to upper left corner.  I cut the bird from the BG paper and adhered it to the right side of the cover.  I added a small panel with "Define It!" and layered it with burgundy cs, spritzed it with the TigerLily ink and attached it to the lower middle of the cover.  I added strips of gold washi tape randomly on the cover.  I swiped gold paint on a bread tab and added it to the right side of the cover.  I added a metal button to the upper right hand corner of the cover.  I tied two keys to the top of the wire spirals and also tied a bow with crunched burgundy bias tape to the top.

     On the inside of the cover I added two vellum envelopes.  I typed instructions and printed them out.  I cut around them and added them to a decorative panel, signed it and added it to the top envelope.  I tucked enough tags into the bottom pocket for my art sisters to decorate and sign for the pages they do in my book.  I wrote my name/address/phone number on a decorated tag and added it to the top of the right-hand page.  I added another vellum envelope to the bottom o the page.  I cut several small art pictures from a page I had torn out of the book.  I put them in the pocket and printed out instructions  to glue to the envelope.  These pictures are for my art sisters to choose from to decorate their tags.
 (art work by Karla Fuller)  I love the blue on this page.  I cut out various letters from card stock and used them to designate  each set of alphabet pages.  I made a sample of what I want in this book and attached it to the page on the right side.  I painted some adding machine tape ( as seen in Somerset Studio's July/Aug 2014 article:  "Cha-Ching Tape:  Mixed-Media Playtime by Cynthia Jerred) and tore a piece of it off to write the definition for ABSURD.  I used one of the pieces of art that contained that word to use as a visual aid.  I want definitions (DEFINE IT!) but also art work.

 This is a a better view of the painted

 This is the "H" that I used for this set of pages.  I used a quote for this page to show that the contributors can use not only words but also quotes or proverbs and then add art work for their visual aids.

This is the complete quote with my art work.  I used the painted tape again to cut out the house parts.  I love that the "H" stands not only for HOME but also for HEART.  Here again I used a bread tab.  It is the door to this tall house.  For some reason I am drawn to the numbers on the tags and love to use these tabs in many places in my art work.  I especially like to use them in art journals.

(I have one more word that I want to do.....just one word but lots of pictures and art work.  I'll post it when finished.....before I send my book on it's adventure.  ").