Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Altered Book Round Robin

 I've altered a daily calendar book for the round robin that my art club is doing this year.  This was a Somerset calendar so it had lots of artwork in it.  I removed those pages and left the ones that had lots of blank spaces on them for my artist friends to add their own artwork.  I used a sheet of 9"X 6" watercolor paper for the front of the book.  I used lime green and aqua watercolor paints to add the background color.  I left several white spaces.  For the main image, I tore the front from a card that I had purchased.  I edged the card with sepia ink.  I added a brad containing a bicycle image to the piece before adhering it to the front.

I added three squares containing the letters to spell out "art"; below that I added the word "journal" cut from magazine text.  I then added a decorative brad below that.  I cut additional words and phrases from a magazine and added them to the front.  I added three words to another square and added it to the upper right hand corner.  I used a ink pen to outline each word or set of words.  I glued ribbon to the left side of the watercolor paper; then I made a bow from the same ribbon, secured it with a brad and glued it to the top of the ribbon.  I left the stripes showing next to the coil that binds the book together.
For the back, I used a few of the new Cirque stamps from Catherine Moore.  (Go to to view her complete line).  I used the back of the purchased card to make a panel on which to stamp the tent.  I used squares and circles to stamp the images for the back of the book.  I outlined many of these.  I did not completely cover the back of the book but left several images open.  I randomly added washi tapes to the front and back.  The sentiment stamp is from Stampabilities.